Linux on NEC Versa Lite FX
I've got this NEC Versa Lite FX notebook. The website refers to this model as the NEC Versa FX. This is a 1" thick notebook.
- Used FIPS.EXE to repartition the disk. FIPS grumbled about "partition table inconsistent" and attempted to fix that. The disk was repartitioned fine.
- Started installation of Linux Mandrake 7.1. Graphics mode install failed, but continued fine in text mode.
- Installation could not detect graphics card. Manually selected SMI LynxEM.
- After installation done, time to setup X. For the Monitor Setup, choose Generic Multisync (LCD Panel choices do not work). Choose Don't Probe. 4MB RAM, No Clockchip Setting.
- Sound was supposedly configured, but it didn't work immediately after install. Had to do a hard reboot.
- High pitched sound. Quickly login as root, run aumix and lower the mic volume. Save the settings.
- 3 USB connectors but none for PS/2!
- CDROM must be connected during Linux boot-up in order for it to be detected. Hot-attach does not work.
- No luck with the Winmodem. Unfortunately, it isn't the Lucent PCI Winmodem (for which a driver would have been available).